Monday, November 8, 2010

Inside My Beauty Bag: My Beauty Picks, and Why I Actually Use Them PART II

Skin Care for Face

I personally have combination skin--I have a tendency to breakout around my forehead (particularly right between the eyebrows like a bullseye!) if I'm not incredibly diligent. Also my cheeks can end up on the dry side if not taken care of properly.


 Cleanser Product Pick: Rhonda Allison Skin Brightening Cleanser
Why I like it: I decided to use this cleanser to help reduce some of the discoloration remaining after previous acne breakouts. When I moved to Houston, the change in climate wreaked havoc on my skin and I was breaking out more than usual. Sometimes it takes awhile for blemishes to heal completely--they often stay pink or even a little brown--a condition known as Post-Inflammatory-Hyperpigmentation (or PIH for short). This cleanser uses Daisy Flower Acid and Kojic Acid which are very gentle natural skin brighteners. Also, this cleanser is the perfect texture---it lathers a little bit when combined with water, does a great job of removing surface oil and makeup, but doesn't leave my skin feeling dry or tight. Now that the discoloration is almost completely gone, I'll probably be switching to the Citrus Gel Cleanser very soon. I typically cleanse 2x a day (morning and night).
 Exfoliant Product Pick: Source Vital Citrus Peel
Why I like it: I prefer using a very gentle exfoliant that uses enzymes. This particular product is massaged onto the skin until it starts drying and forming particles (almost like when you were a kid and you'd rub Elmers glue off your hands...). After it feels like most of it has been massaged off, you can rinse it clean with cool water.  I typically do this 2-3x a week to help keep my skin smooth and clear. This part of my routine is critical to keeping my skin from breaking out.
Acne Treatment Product Pick: Rhonda Allison Blemish Complex
Why I like it: This product contains 5.25% Benzoyl Peroxide but also contains other ingredients that are soothing and hydrating to prevent the skin from becoming red, dry, and irritated. The medicine is powerful and works fast. I sometimes use about half a pump only on my forehead in the morning, and I almost always use a full pump (in a thin layer) on my entire face at night. 
Serum Product Picks:  
Rhonda Allison Therapy E Serum
Why I like it: My skin needs hydration---but not a ton. This works perfectly as a lightweight moisturizer at night. Vitamin E is an incredible antioxidant with proven skin benefits--it helps the skin to repair, soothes, and helps diminish the appearance of scars. It dries with a nice finish--never shiny or tacky. I always use 1 or 2 pumps of this on my face and neck mixed with about 1 pump of Super C Serum at night.
Rhonda Allison Super C Serum
Why I like it: Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant and is essential for use in producing collagen--I mix 1 pump of this with 1 or 2 pumps of the Therapy E Serum for a perfect light night time moisturizer. (If you have dry skin---this will NOT be enough for you. You could use this, but you'd probably want to layer another moisturizer over it)
Moisturizer Product Pick: Rhonda Allison Blushed Wine Gel
Why I like it: I use this light gel moisturizer in the morning. It provides the perfect amount of hydration for my combination skin--it dries with a cooling sensation that helps wake me up in the morning, and a dry finish. Tiny light reflective Mica particles refract light to make skin luminous. Resveratrol is one of the active ingredients in this product, and is touted with impressive anti-aging benefits. 
Lip Care Product Pick: Nivea Kiss of Moisture
Why I like it: This lip product doesn't feel thick and waxy--in fact, it hardly feels like anything at all--which is why my husband prefers I wear this to other lip products--it just feels as if I've just licked my lips and they're naturally moist. I use it at least morning and night.
 Makeup

Concealer Product Pick: MAKE UP FOR EVER Lift Concealer in Pink Beige 1
Why I like it: This concealer has the perfect amount of pink in it to cancel out under-eye darkness. It's texture is also perfect---it provides coverage without looking cakey or chalky--it doesn't end up creasing under my eyes after I've squinted or smiled, it's easy to blend, and even contains Vitamins A and E---fantastic on all fronts!
Foundation Product Pick: Clinique Almost Makeup SPF 15 in Fair
Why I like it: I advocate wearing the least amount of foundation coverage you can get away with. By using something a little bit sheer, makes my skin look more perfect, but still fresh and natural. Honestly, I don't use a foundation brush or makeup sponge--clean fingers work just as well for me. In fact, I feel they sometimes work a little better for foundation because the warmth of your hands helps the product really melt into your skin and look as natural as possible. Also, the SPF of 15 is always a plus in my book.
Powder Product Pick: Your Name Professional Brands Private Label Cosmetics Loose Translucent Powder in 01 Nude
Why I like it: Translucent Powder is the easiest way to set your foundation to keep it in place the entire day--it also gives you a nice matte finish to nix shine. Using loose powder with a big fluffy brush helps prevent makeup from looking to heavy or caked on.
Blush Product Picks:
NARS Cream Blush in Penny Lane
Why I like it: I love cream blushes because I feel they go on looking the most natural--they keep the skin looking flawless. This color is light and fresh and looks great on most skin tones. I use clean fingers to tap it just onto the apples of my cheeks and gently blend it in.
NARS Blush in Orgasm
Why I like it: The name of the shade is almost enough to make you blush on your own--but the color captures perfectly the healthy glow a woman has (or wishes she has) after...vigorous exercise. This peach is perfection for all skin colors---warm, cool, fair, AND ebony.
Highlighter Product Pick: Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion in Diffuse
Why I like it: just a touch of this product along the top of the cheek bone (after you've put on your blush) gives skin a fresh, dewy appearance. Be careful not to over-use it, though--you certainly don't want to use it on the entire face because it could look tacky and artificial.
Eyeshadow Primer Product Pick: Your Name Professional Brands Private Label Cosmetics Shadow Magnet in 01 Light
Why I like it: Sometimes eyeshadows look different in the pan than they do on your skin--this product literally draws the shadow to your lid like a magnet--and keeps it in place. Because it is so light, it keeps the color true, so what you see in the pan is what you actually get. It can be tricky to learn to use at first---because of its thick texture, you MUST use only a little, and spread it in a VERY thin layer across the lid, or else your shadows will crease. Also, if you plan on using more than one color, you'll want to spread the lightest color, or even some of your loose powder over the entire lid, to make it easier to blend the colors together.
 Eyebrow Product Pick: Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows in Soft Blonde
Why I like it: This is a soft color that brings just enough definition to my brows. As a rule of thumb, you always want to choose a shade lighter than you think you'll need--use short dashes to fill in sparse areas and perfect the shape of your brows. I love the shape of my brows, but I like accentuating the top of the arch just a touch, and filling in the tails to really frame my eyes.
Eyeshadow Product Pick: Urban Decay Eye Shadow in Sin
Why I like it: Even without using a primer first, Urban Decay eyeshadows are usually very true to their color--they are high quality, easy to blend, and this particular color is incredibly flattering--it's a shimmery neutral that really brings out your eye's own sparkle. For subtle looks, I suggest wearing it on its own on your lower half of your lid only--but you can also blend other neutral colors for a bit more pop, or even blend more vibrant colors or even black for a more dramatic effect. When I'm not sure what I want to do with my eyes, this is the first product choose.
 Eyeliner Product Pick: Estee Lauder Stay in Place Eye Pencil in Graphite
Why I like it: My grandmother and her best friend loved their Estee Lauder. Ever since I was a little girl, my grandma would give me the free gift with purchase she got when she bought her own makeup and skin products--introducing me to the best eyeliner in the world. It goes on smooth, and stays in place, and the dark grey "graphite" shade makes eyes pop like black does, without seeming too severe.
Mascara Product Pick: Christian Dior DiorShow Waterproof Mascara in Black 90
Why I like it: First of all, this mascara withstood all the tears and sweat of my wedding in the Bahamas. It's easy to apply, rarely clumps, and really does seem to lengthen and volumize my lashes. One coat on curled lashes perfectly defines eyes without looking gunky. 

Lip Color Product Picks:
Why I like it: Like the lip balm I recommended earlier, this product hydrates, smooths, and feels totally natural. Plus these particular colors are very flattering--The Peting Pink looks gorgeous and soft, especially when paired with NARS blush in "orgasm", and the Fuschia Fix, although still subtle, has a little more pop and looks great paried with NARS creme blush in "penny lane" or even something with a little more pink or a little bit more plum.
Why I like it: This color is incredibly flattering--it's the perfect shade of opalescent pink with the faintest hint of violet. The texture of the gloss is a little thick and sticky (my husband hates the way it feels and refuses to kiss me when I wear it). Because it is so thick, it's a little longer lasting than some others. I like applying it using a lip brush--and sometimes I will layer it over a lipstick.
Why I like it: A beautiful peachy color that pairs very well with NARS blush in "orgasm" and pulls together a "peaches and cream" complexion. (these peachy colors work incredibly to bring out blue eyes!) The texture is smooth (thicker than the MAC Lip Conditioner, but not as sticky as the NARS Lip Lacquer) and it wears for a few hours.


keeping you beautiful (and sparkling) one post at a time!

Kate Block

No comments:

Post a Comment