Saturday, October 30, 2010

Inside My Beauty Bag: My Beauty Picks, and Why I Actually Use Them.

I am a product junkie. Since beauty is what I've done for a living for years, you can imagine how I could become quite the product snob, though, too. I'll give you the inside scoop on the products I actually use on a daily basis.  Keep in mind, that everyone's skin and hair are different---products that I've come to rely on may not be capable of delivering the same results to you---For instance: I have wavy/curly, thick hair. Volume is NOT an issue with me. But that doesn't mean the brand I like doesn't have a solution for you!




Body Care

Deodorant Product Pick: Dove Clinical Protection "Cool Essentials". 
Why I like it: I don't consider myself to be an excessive sweater, but I like that I can rely on this. With Houston's somewhat unpredictable weather, it's nice to know you're covered. Since you put it on overnight, white gunky underarms are never an issue---and neither are deodorant stains on your dark clothes.  I started trying Secret's Clinical Protection. I didn't have a problem with it, but when Dove came out with theirs, I switched, because I find Dove tends to use gentler ingredients (although the active ingredient in both is the same).
Interesting tidbit: If you do really sweat excessively (the clinical term for the condition is hyperhydrosis), Botox injections in the underarms can help reduce sweat production; Researchers have recently developed a topical cream containing Botox-- it is undergoing clinical trials to determine whether or not it can be a successful treatment for the condition--depending on the results, Botox injections even for deep creases and wrinkles may quickly become a thing of the past as it makes way for a new generation of powerful topical products.

Body Wash Product Pick: Rhonda Allison Mintopia

Why I like it: Since I often take my showers in the morning, the mint scent is invigorating--but the main reason I like this product is because it gently exfoliates.  I also use it in place of shaving cream for my legs and underarms. Because it contains ingredients that gently exfoliate, it makes those areas less likely to become irritated after.  I do not recommend it for washing your nether-regions though---the menthol in the formula may leave you a little too tingly.

Body Wash Runner Up:  Burts Bees Extra Energizing Citrus & Ginger Root Body Wash

Why I like it: This body wash also has an invigorating scent. I tend to lean toward products that avoid artificial preservatives, fragrances, and colors---and Burts Bees, just like Rhonda Allison, fits that bill. Sometimes I'll use this in places I've avoided with the Mintopia, or I'll just use this instead, depending on the mood I'm in.  
Body Wash Ex-product pick: I used to be a huge fan of the body washes by Philosophy. I got my husband hooked of the wide variety of indulgent scents like Vanilla Birthday Cake, Cherry on Top, and Fudge Cake. They also usually come out with seasonal fragrances like The Gingerbread Man: unfortunately they smelled so good, it's my opinion he ended up using WAY MORE than he needed to, so we went through it pretty quickly. I still do like their shower gel (according to the label it can also be used as a shampoo, but I prefer to use something separate), but ultimately I decided to switch to something that was more natural (these contain artificial colors, fragrances, AND preservatives) and I was looking for a product that was multifunctional. The products I use now gently exfoliate, and I also use when I shave---Philosophy's body washes do not contain exfoliating ingredients, and didn't provide as comfortable a shave. Sorry Philosophy--it's not you, it's me.

After-shaving/waxing product pick: PFB Vanish
Why I like it: I've tried several products that promise to do what this product actually does for me. It contains mild amounts of salicylic, glycolic, and lactic acids that gently exfoliate to prevent ingrown hairs from becoming trapped under the skin. Salicylic acid is also anti-inflammatory so it helps reduce redness. It can sting just a little--there is a small amount of alcohol in the formula--but it doesn't contain nearly as much as competing products No Bump and TendSkin. Plus PFB comes in a convenient rollerball, making it easy to apply. I use it on my legs, underarms, and bikini every other day or so (if you shave EVERY day, you should probably use it every day).
Body Lotion Product Pick: Rhonda Allison Exotica Rhodiola Body Lotion
Why I like it: Unlike many other body products, Rhonda Allison uses some of the same high-quality performance ingredients that used to only be found in formulas designed for the face. The product feels good on the skin--it's not too heavy, it doesn't leave your skin tacky. It leaves a smooth, moisturized finish with a nice sheen. I truly noticed a difference in the hydration on my legs and arms.

Why I like it: A lot of hand creams feel too thick for me. I like this because of it's light scent (although it is artificial fragrance), and it's light texture---but the product actually delivers. I also love putting it on my feet at night just before putting on my aloe-infused socks.
Hair Care

Shampoo Product Pick: Abba Pure Color Protect Shampoo 

Why I like it: Sulfates are detergents often found in shampoo (a very common one is Sodium Laureth Sulfate) they are great at really getting the hair clean, and produce a great lather, but can be too harsh, especially for chemically treated hair. That's why I like looking for sulfate-free shampoos. Unfortunately, some of them leave hair feeling like there is a film coating it and it's not really clean. Also many sulfate-free shampoos don't give you a good lather, or can be very thin.  This product is sulfate free--but is a nice texture, produces a fantastic lather, and leaves my hair feeling soft and clean. I actually have used it without any conditioner, and still was happy with my hair---but I like using conditioner to detangle and moisturize my hair--it can tend to dry out without it. Although free of sulfates and artificial color, these products do sometimes use artificial preservatives and fragrance. They do use lots of natural ingredients, though like Aloe, Cucumber, Chamomile, and Fennel, and their label says the products are 100% vegan--suggesting that they do not test the products on animals, and do not use animal by-products in their formulas.
Runner-Up Shampoo Product Pick: TIGI S-Factor Color Savvy Sulfate-Free Shampoo
This line smells DELICIOUS. (one night when my husband hugged me he told me I smelled like berries and angels...) It also leaves my hair feeling clean (but not dry) and provides a great lather. I made the switch from this to Abba (with several duds in-between) when I decided to try something with more natural ingredients.
One of the "duds" was Aquage SeaExtend Strengthening Shampoo--it was thin, so product constantly slipped through my fingers and down the shower drain before ever making it to my hair---plus if I shampooed and rinsed only once, it wouldn't lather much, and my hair hardly felt any cleaner when I was through. I finally discovered that I had to use substantially more product, and that I had to shampoo, rinse, repeat 2 or 3 times before I could get a good lather, and my hair actually was left feeling clean. I was also disappointed with similar results when using CHI Infra Moisture Therapy Shampoo.
Conditioner Product Pick: Abba Pure Color Protect Conditioner 
Why I like it: I generally like using shampoos with their accompanying conditioner. Often they are designed to work well together. It is a good texture---not as heavy as some conditioners that can tend to weigh the hair down. It does a good job of detangling, and like it's partnered shampoo it contains many wonderful natural ingredients like Coconut, Rosemary, and Wild Cherry.
Conditioner Product Pick Runner-Up: Alterna Luxury White Truffle Conditioner
Why I like it: It feels rich, but not too heavy--it does a nice job of detangling, and it leaves my hair feeling healthy and looking shiny. It uses luxurious ingredients like truffle oil, champagne grape seed oil, and caviar extract. I also really like the smell. It can run a bit pricy, though, and it does contain artificial color and fragrance.
Why I like it: It actually feels like it does something! It makes your hair feel softer. I don't use something like this very often though--I feel that if I'm using a great shampoo and conditioner, I don't really need it so much. I feel like it leaves my hair a little more moisturized and shiny too.
 Hair spray product Pick: White Sands Infinity Hair Spray
Why I like it: It's very versatile! It can be used for incredible volume, very controlled, firm, shape--or very soft looks. Hair still feels like hair after it's applied---not like a sticky lacquered surface. Heat protectant, and humidity resistant.  It can be used to create very abstract over the top hairstyles or your every day look. Use a blow dryer set to high heat and low speed-of-air-flow to really lock-in your style.
Why I like it: Just one or two sprays (sprayed from a bit of a distance so it's dispersed evenly) gives you plenty of shine, and like it's brothers and sisters in the line--it smells phenomenal. It's also UV and heat protectant.

Why I like them: Once again, Abba uses a lot of natural ingredients, but it delivers real results too. The products provide the best results when used together, and when the hair is blow-dried with a diffuser, but can be used separately and/or the hair can be left to air dry. Curls are shinier and less frizzy, but aren't crunchy either.
Styling Product Pick: Alterna Hemp with Organics Styling Mud
Why I like it: This gives flexible hold with a lot of shine. Lends great texture to the hair. I like to rub just a touch of this between my palms and smooth it over the surface of my hair near the scalp to nix any flyaways--sometimes I'll brush through afterward with a boar bristle brush. This is also great for smoothing over pulled-back hair styles, for adding shine to curls after having used a curling iron, or for distributing through hair before braiding to keep shorter hairs from sticking out of the braid, but still keeping the hair soft.
Volumizing Product Pick: Alterna Hemp with Organics Thickening Compound
Why I like it: I don't shampoo my hair every day; If I've straightened my hair the day before and want to re-wear the style but it seems a little flat, this product saves it. I'll distribute about a nickel-sized amount near the roots of my hair and blow-dry it---either upside down or while lifting with a vented brush to create a little more body in the top. This product is indispensable.
Strengthening Product Pick: CHI Silk Infusion
Why I like it:  I love putting this product in while my hair is still damp. I gently towel-dry my hair, and then work in about a dime-sized amount of product focusing on my ends, and then distributing the rest as evenly as possible in the rest of my hair. I really do notice an improvement in the strength and shininess of my hair.

Like I said, I'm a product junkie! I use a lot of products. I don't use all of them every day--some are only used every once in awhile, but these are the actual products I currently have and prefer to use. This is not to say there aren't plenty of other fantastic products out there that deliver similar results. I may have my reasons for not using them--or I just simply may not have discovered them yet!  Keep your eyes peeled for Part II! In my next "Inside My Beauty Bag" entry I'll reveal my favorite skincare and makeup products!

Keeping you beautiful (and pulled-together!) one post at a time.

Kate Block

No comments:

Post a Comment